Monday 28 April 2008

IS IT A BIRD? IS IT A PLANE? NO, IT'S JUST SHEER BLOODY EMBARRASSMENT


I could do the date thing and make some excuse for 1976 and maybe the 70s in general but no. Rumours where flying thick and fast in comicdom circa 1975 that Marvel US where about to give the good old UK it's very first superhero.

Trust me, amongst comic fans, there was a frenzy......of sorts, for people with inter-personal er issues. But we were about to get one of very own superheroes, so what could possibly go wrong? I mean Marvel had been doing the superhero thing in their own back yard for decades....how hard could it be?

Marvel's then publisher, Stan Lee, even crossed the pond on a UK promo tour. I tuned into BBC's regional news program Nationwide and awaiting with bated breath for Stan (The Man) Lee to bestow upon the unbelievers why comics were not childish or just for children.

And you what he attributed the success of comics too? Sound affects. You know. Biff, boom, bash, sock. Very Batman TV series. I just curled up and tried not to die. Luckly for me my parents were in another room.

And Captain Britain? It was awful and worse still, came with a free Captain Britain mask. Fan - bloody - tastic. .....NOT.

Whilst the Captain would get better, once UK writers got hold of him, Stan Lee would never be the same in my eyes again. And four years later he would include a personal letter in the first issue of very important comic book magazine which opened with the line: Hi there, culture lovers.

I cringed them and I'm cringing now.

Oi, Lee! No!

No comments: