Friday 11 April 2008

OH MAN LOOK AS THOSE CAVE MEN GO, IT'S THE FREAKEST SHOW


The less than factual Chariots Of The Gods, by Erich von Daniken, got the whole aliens from out of space kick starting intelligent life on Earth speculation going. But Erich was less than truthful in this and subsequent tomes.

Which was a real pity for this 14 year old, who took the whole concept in, hook, line and sinker. I practically kept a well thumbed copy of Chariots by my bed for years. Ah, the gullibility of it all. Hmmmmm, wonder if I can find a copy on eBay and put it back by my bedside.....er purely for erm......does nostalgia count? I mean maybe there's more to this than meets the eye?

But even knowing the truth did not stop me from making sure I brought this 1975 copy of Marvel Preview; a black and white magazine sized comic, that turned von Daniken's scam into a tale of crafted escapism. The cover is Neal Adams at his best, whilst the interior art was handled by the very underrated but admired by me (and at least one other, where are you Floyd Hughes?) Alex Nino.

Marvel Preview had an in depth interview with Erich, which I lapped up and that's when I suspected Erich was less of a scientist and more of a game show host.

Ah, the bitter disappointment.

No comments: