Thursday 3 April 2008

What evil lurks in the hearts of men? George Bush knows!


Actually, the Shadow knows what lurks and where. I plan to squeeze in a number of Shadow covers into this blog, so here's the first. Mike Kulta pushed the boundaries of illustration at the time (the 1970s) with this painted background looming over a penciled foreground. The effect, I feel, is as near perfect as you're likely to get.

The character harks from the early 1930's in prose magazines called pulp's, which I believe referred to the low quality paper used and not the subject matter.

I was always going to be drawn (dreadful pun) to the Shadow over the usual caped and spandex bedecked superheroes because the Shadow didn't go in for trading punches and endless monologues, he just shot people and they stayed shot. I kind of like that approach, you know, direct and er to the point!

No comments: