Sunday 20 April 2008

O SUPERMAN


It was difficult to share my excitement with all my other comic book collecting friends when I saw this particular cover by John Byrne.

They were mostly excited by it's collectability, which I won't bore you with now except to say it was a real must have and one to stash away for future profit. The writer, Chris Claremont, had used the highly original title for this edition of 'Days Of Future Past'. Very Moody Blue.

But I digress. Look at the cover as I did and how I relished those words: Slain. If there's one thing more enjoyable to my mind than one dead superhero, it's two dead superheroes!

I've never really liked then but alas I have always been surrounded by comic fans who did. Worse still I let them influence me. So, I gave up my love of horror comics, war comics and SF comics to a bunch of prats in capes and tights.

Of course I regret that.

But for one brief shining moment I thought superheroes had had their day and good riddance to the lot of them. Except possibly for Batman, who wasn't an alien, didn't get exposed to gamma rays or get bitten by a radioactive spider. Some one simply slaughtered his parents and that sent him off the deep end.

Except Days Of Future Past was set in the future and the tights and spandex weren't really dead at all.

I cried for days mind; so near and yet so far.

No comments: